Changes to this Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will update the “last updated” date at the end of this page. We encourage you to check this Policy whenever you use our websites and services to understand how your personal information is used.
We collect information from you in various ways when you use our websites and services. We collect two general types of information: personal information and aggregate data. As used in this Policy, the term “personal information” means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name and email address), and demographic and other information when directly linked to information that can identify an individual.
Our definition of personal information does not include “aggregate” data. Aggregate data is information we collect about a group or category of services or users from which individual user identities have been removed. In other words, no personal information is included in aggregate data. Aggregate data helps us to understand trends in our users’ needs so that we can consider new features or otherwise tailor our services. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate data, and we may share aggregate data about our users with third parties for various purposes, including to help us better understand our customer needs, improve our services, and for advertising and marketing purposes.
The following are the specific types of information we collect from you:
1. Information You Provide. We collect information you provide to us on our website, and when you register for and/or use our services. Examples include the following:
(a) Registration and Profile Information. When you register to use our services or update your profile, we may collect various types of information about you, including your name and email address; your title, company and other profile information; demographic information; and information you upload such as photos, files and documents.
(b) Contact Information. We collect the email addresses you provide for contacts you enter or upload into your private contacts page. When you choose to collaborate or share files with others, we also collect email addresses you provide to email invitations to those individuals on your behalf.
(c) Payment Information. If you choose to use a paid Big Switch Networks account or service, our payment processing vendor collects your credit card information and billing address.
(d) Submissions and Customer Service. From time to time, we may use surveys, contests or sweepstakes requesting personal or demographic information and customer feedback.
(2) Automatically Collected Information. We automatically receive certain types of information when you interact with our web pages, services and communications. For example, it is standard for your web browser to automatically send information to every website you visit, including ours. That information includes your computer’s IP address, access times, your browser type and language, and referring website addresses. We may also collect information about the type of operating system you use, your account activity, and files and pages that you access or use.
(4) Information provided via your use of the Services. Through your use of the Big Switch Networks Services, your servers will provide our website with activity and operating information of our server software on your network. This information may include MAC and IP addresses, log and error messages, flow counters and operating system statistics such as CPU utilization and disk/memory usage.
Use of Personal Information.
In general, we use your personal information to process your requests or transactions, to provide you with information or services you request, to inform you about other information, events, promotions, products or services we think will be of interest to you, to facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the website and services and to otherwise serve you and our users. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- request feedback and enable us to develop, customize and improve the website and our publications, products and services;
- conduct marketing analysis, send surveys or newsletters, contact you about services, products, activities, special events or other offers from Big Switch or our partners, and for other marketing, informational, product development and promotional purposes;
- send welcoming emails and contact you about your use of the website and services; respond to your emails, submissions, comments, requests or complaints; perform after-sales services; anticipate and resolve problems with our service; respond to customer support inquiries, for assistance with our product and service development; and keep our customers informed of product and service updates from Big Switch that better meet your needs;
- store contacts you enter or upload into your contacts list for your private use and viewing;
- send emails to users you invite (and contacts you invite to become users) to collaborate and access your files;
- enable you to communicate, collaborate and share files with users you designate;
- contact you if you win a contest; and
- for other purposes about which we will notify you.
Sharing of Personal Information.
Use of Aggregate Information
The aggregate information may be used to discuss how our server software is performing on your network. For example, MAC and IP addresses and various flow counters may be aggregated into total counters for the purposes of describing the size of the networks our server software is operating on.
Use of Services Information
When you and your server software access Big Switch Networks Services, the information gathered may be used for archival, reporting and analysis capabilities.
Network and Information Security.
Big Switch takes reasonable steps to protect information we collect from you to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
The servers on which information is stored are kept in a controlled environment with limited access. While we take reasonable efforts to guard personal information we knowingly collect directly from you, no security system is impenetrable. In addition, we cannot guarantee that any passively-collected personal information you choose to include in documents you store on our systems are maintained at adequate levels of protection to meet specific needs or obligations you may have relating to that information.
Your account information and access to our service is accessible only through the use of an individual user ID and password. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused. In addition, always logout and close your browser when you finish your session. Please note that we will never ask you to disclose your password in an unsolicited phone call or email.
Updating and Accessing Personal Information.
If your personal information changes in any way, we invite you to correct or update your information as soon as possible. You can make updates to your profile information by logging into your account on Big Switch at any time. You can also request changes or access to your information by emailing email@example.com.
Big Switch may send you communications or data regarding our services, including but not limited to (i) notices about your use of our services, including any notices concerning violations of use, (ii) updates, and (iii) promotional information and materials regarding our products and services. You may opt-out of receiving promotional emails from Big Switch by following the opt-out instructions provided in those emails. You may also opt-out of receiving promotional emails and other promotional communications from us at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific request. Opt-out requests will not apply to transactional service messages, such as security alerts and notices about your current account and services.
Any questions about this Policy should be addressed to email@example.com.
Last updated: January 2014