Bringing Cloud VPC to Enterprises
Try BCF in the Hands-on Online Lab Now!
Recognizing the pervasive adoption of cloud hosting by enterprises, Big Switch Networks is offering a networking approach that works both on-premises, and within large cloud providers. Big Cloud Fabric – Enterprise Cloud abstracts the underlying switching fabric as tenant-based VPCs, with open switches and a centralized controller. BCF-EC offers best in class economics, automation, visibility, and cross-cloud administration.
Big Cloud Fabric™ is the industry’s first data center fabric leveraging SDN controller software and open networking (white-box or brite-box) hardware switches.
Embracing hyper-scale data center design principles, the Big Cloud Fabric solution delivers:
- intelligence by simplifying network operations and providing fabric-wide telemetry,
- agility by enabling network automation to rapidly deploy application and services
- deployment flexibility powered by a scale-out architecture and open network hardware.
Tenant-based VPC fabric architecture
The Big Cloud Fabric architecture can be viewed as software-driven/software-defined disaggregation of the traditional chassis:
- Supervisor Card(s) --> SDN Controller Cluster
- Chassis Backplane --> Spine Switches
- Line Card(s) --> Leaf Switches
Big Cloud Fabric's logical chassis architecture -- or a one-logical-pod switch -- enables data center users to construct high-performance, resilient, and pay-as-you-scale pod fabrics. The SDN controller (a.k.a. chassis supervisor) is a critical and necessary component; chassis disaggregation is not possible without it. It enables zero-touch fabric operation, single-point-of-fabric management and centralized fabric analytics. Those features significantly speed up application deployment and reduce operating costs. Moreover, with hardware-software disaggregation, Big Cloud Fabric supports a variety of high-performance (10G/40G), high-density switch hardware; that enables full vendor choice and tremendous capital expenditure optimization.
The Big Cloud Fabric consists of the following components:
- SDN-enabled Big Cloud Fabric Controllers
- SDN-enabled Switch Light OS
- Open Networking (white-box or brite-box) Ethernet Switches
For OpenStack and container deployments, Big Cloud Fabric supports Switch Light VX virtual switch for KVM hypervisor. Solution details may be found here.
With Big Cloud Fabric, data center infrastructure teams can automate their VMware or OpenStack networks with 16x faster configuration and upgrades, 4x faster application deployment and issue resolution and troubleshooting. The ACG Research report provides a detailed analysis: The Economic Value of Open SDN Fabrics
Big Cloud Fabric Use Cases
The leaf-spine fabric supports a wide variety of data center use cases, including:
- VMware SDDC East/West traffic workloads (vSphere, NSX, Virtual SAN)
- NFV OpenStack network automation
- Containerized workloads
- Private cloud network API's
- Low latency VDI workloads
- HCI and Big Data scale-out
- Software Defined Storage (SDS)
- Zero-touch L2/L3 fabrics
Big Cloud Fabric Benefits
The Big Cloud Fabric, with its leaf-spine fabric, brings modern hyperscale-style benefits to enterprise and service provider data centers.
- Simplicity: zero-touch fabric and single-point of management
- Agility: network automation with vSphere and OpenStack integration, REST APIs for optional NetOps/DevOps automation
- Visibility and Troubleshooting: Built-in analytics with historical replay, leaf--spine--leaf fabric tracing for rapid troubleshooting, end-point visibility at VM-level
- Economics: Dramatic reduction in OpEx and CapEx
- Hardware Vendor choice: choice of open networking (white-box and brite-box) switches based on state-of-the-art Broadcom Trident-II, Trident-II+ and Tomahawk networking ASICs.
- Innovation Velocity: Faster time to service enablement as well as rapid (hitless) software upgrade enables rapid consumption of new features..